Saturday, December 16, 2006

Having less than a stellar experience with Vista 64

Haven't figured out what to call it yet. x64 Vista? 64-bit Vista? Vista 64? Eventually we'll just be calling it Windows, I suppose.

Anywho, I'm actually getting instant cold restarts (twice so far, just had it installed for a few days). And many, many apps just don't run right.

Sounds like this is going to be a slow, painful experience bringing the rest of the world up to 64 bits. I'm going to try reinstalling at 32 bits and see how many problems go away, or if it's just the hard-core security stuff built into Vista now. (I blame the cold boots on the 64-to-32 conversion it has to do, probably some device driver misbehaving....) But it seems that if the software wasn't written by Microsoft, it just doesn't behave right.

Interesting too that by default they have me running the 32-bit version of IE. I can run the 64-bit version, but it doesn't appear that I can make that my default program for web pages.

Quite the disappointing experience.

0 comments: